Thursday 28 August 2008

Day what?

Today is Thursday apparently.
And I arrived on Monday lunch time.
So that makes this technically day four.

I've definitely had four meals in a restaurant, I've been to the pub a couple of times, I bought some DVDs, a webcam and a microphone for Skype, oh and a Chinese simcard (message me if you want the number).
The thing I'm not so sure about is if I've been to sleep enough times for it to be day four?

When I arrived on Monday, I surprised myself.
Having gone an entire 24 hours with no more the a couple of grabbed hours kip, I arrived here, went out for dinner (Xinjiang style - West China, think lamb), then a few beers, then managed to stay up until 03:00 talking and drinking with Mike.

The next day I slept until 16:00, which was understandable.
Then we went out that night for dinner (Sichuan style frogs) and a walk around the lake - Mike's clearly getting older. Unfortunately, a combination of sleeping until 16:00 and laggish confusion meant I didn't sleep that night at all.

I don't mean I had a bad, disturbed night's sleep, I mean litterally none at all.
So then Shelley and I went out for lunch (Guangdong) then the shopping as mentioned above.
By the time we were getting a taxi back home, my head was lolling around and I was literally falling asleep on my feet. I wasn't too tired to notice the supermarket though.

It wasn't actually a carrefour we went to, but you get the general idea. It was bright and filled with confusing and exciting things that I have no idea what they were. I said Tamey is getting older, but clearly so am I when the idea of a shopping in such a supermarket clearly excites me.

Anyway, we got back and decided to watch Kung Fu Panda, which was good fun while I was awake - about 50% I think. I then had to go to sleep for an hour. Mike got back from work around 19:00. I got up and had a shower and we went out for food (Hunan - Mao's home province, very spicy) and then a few beers here.
The Bookworm was very cool and somewhere to get my hands on cheap books, combined with music and beer means I was very happy to see they are also represented in Beijing. I'll be there.

We got home at a reasonable hour (before midnight) and I had no problem falling asleep. It's now morning and here I am, awake as normal. So hopefully that should be the sleeping patterns sorted out. Tonight Shelley is going to cook (Jiangsu I'd guess - cause that's where we are and she's from) and we're going to chill out.

So some immediate impressions to finish up with:
  • The food is incredible - don't underestimate this, everyone has to eat, every day
  • DVDs still cost 70p each, there's no excuse to be bored
  • The Internet works fine, can't find any problems
  • Supermarkets look damn confusing in a good way (Himmo, don't worry, they have Nutella - it's just very expensive)
  • An electric scooter looks like loads of fun, but the roads are crackers
  • This is going to be a really exciting place to live

No comments: