Thursday 14 August 2008

Penultimate day and visa strife

No Visa strife is not Cockney rhyming slang for what I intend to make Caroline.
I'm sure you all know now that we got engaged last weekend and are planning to get married next summer in Berlin. This surprises me, even though I planned the whole thing and asked.

Visa strife instead refers to the process of getting my working 'Z' visa for China.
To get that I need:
  • an application form with photograph - completed
  • a work permit from the Ministry of Labour - got it
  • a letter of invitation from the Ministry of Education - not got it yet

So when I have those things, I then need to go to the Consulate in Manchester and get my visa.

Unfortunately, it takes a few days for letters to be sent from China, even by priority Fed Ex. So the flights I had for Berlin on Monday are going to have to be delayed. It's no real problem, as long as I can leave on the flight from Berlin to Shanghai on 24 August.

However it would be nice to get over to see Caroline soon, what with us being recently betrothed and all.

On the bright side, this is my penultimate day working in local government, so that is something to smile about. I even completed a Service Planning document today, just to remind myself what I will no longer have to do. My colleagues are whispering, I already know I'm receiving a pollution mask, but what else is in store...

No comments: