Monday 1 September 2008

Beijing, at the bejinning

Isn't that a poor 'joke'.
I feel like the whole blog will now be sullied until I get that off the front page.
Anyway, I'm typing this message from my little room at the International College Beijing, part of the China Agricultural University.

The campus is very nice and leafy, in fact the whole Haidian District is pretty much university town. I'll be living here for a week until Caroline arrives, but working here for at least six months, teaching study skills and business research methods.

The big man welcomes you onto campus, I'm sure you know who I mean, but there'll be a photograph here tomorrow to show you who if you don't know what I'm on about.
Well it's tomorrow and as promised, here he is:


That thing with his coat flapping? The Egyptians perfected it millenia ago, it creates movement and dynamism in the statue, you see? Just ask Caroline, she knows all about it.

Another notable thing is that the Gymnasium here hosted the Greco-Roman wrestling in the Olympics and will host the Wheelchair Volleyball in the Paralympics. I might try and check that out if possible, the maneuvrability of wheelchair athletes is always pretty impressive. Would be good to see some Olympic Sport in the flesh too, especially if Team GB are any good?

Anyway, in an effort to give new viewings to old footage, here's what the train journeys in China look like, although obviously this time I was on my own.


Today has been pretty much spent getting myself installed here.
Tomorrow I'll get out and about again and explore Beijing.
Oh yeah, lunch was £1.75 in a restaurant in the capital city!

No comments: