Thursday 4 September 2008

Thursday after Epiphany

Is that right, Thursday after Epiphany?
My Biblicism isn't too hot, although I guess here that's actually a positive.

Anyway before I get epiphanical, I'd better tell you how now I am.
I am so now, that I am currently watching a shonky copy of the Wire whilst blogging.
Oh and last night I watched a Michel Gondry movie.
That's basically as now as it's possible to get.

Anyway, what have I learned today?
Palm Springs is a luxrious apartment complex.
The most impressive one I've seen in Beijing.
Big picture windows, classic furniture, without being at all old fashioned.
Public areas nicer than any hotel I've ever been in.
Fantastic gardens between all of the buildings.
Two bedrooms, two bathrooms, a study and a huge lounge with corner sofa.
The healthclub and spa is the most impressive in Beijing.
Home to Yao Ming when he comes home to train.
Anyway basically the only downside is the fact it's a little further away, so would require a bike ride by each of us every day. For this place though I'd say it's worth it without a doubt. Watch here for Caroline's take on the place.
My photographs, such as they are, are here.

Lesson 2.
0.5 of a bedroom in Seasons Park makes all of the difference.
A few extra Sq. Metres makes this place go from a poky little Ikea showroom to being aapartment with the best mix of everything - currently my number 2 on the list.
You can see the additional photographs on the flickr site, linked above. I've named the new shots differently, you'll see them.

So that's 1 and 2. 3, 4 and 5 are one of the high apartments in Chateau Edinburgh, the first apartment I saw in Pop Moma and the apartment owned by a film director in Concordia Plaza, in that order. The reason Pop Moma has been relegated is an empty lot nearby which is due to be filled by a hotel in the next couple of months.

I also learned there's a cracking Vietnamese restaurant behind Caroline's office-to-be. It's called Serve the People and their Roast Duck salad looks something like this:

You fill the salad into the lettuce leaves.
Delicious.

I also discovered that the food hall at my university is fantastic.
More choices you could possibly imagine, live fish ready for the pot.
A help yourself canteen and a restaurant.
Tonight I got some spicy Sichuan-style chicken, some green beans with mouth-numbing (literally) peppercorns and chillis and some scrambled egg with stuff in it.
And all with change from 15Y (£1.10).
I'll not be packing any lunches for the next 6 months.

Oh yeah, I also learned this is cake, not bread:

On reflection it's obviously cake isn't it?
It looks like cake, worse I left behind some things that clearly had 'Bread' marked on them.

Tomorrow I'll be having my first work meeting. I'll palm off the cake there and look like a right swot.
You'll no doubt get to here about that here too.
Assuming there's any amusing photographs or anecdotes...
Props to Gregwa for the first comments.

No comments: